Nov 23, 2011

Creative Crowd Sourcing

Crowd sourcing...to be completely honest, the concept seemed rather bland to me at first. In preparation for my week as PRFandP's administrator, I did some research on the different ways that crowd sourcing can be used. I discovered a world of possibilities! Once I opened my eyes to all the different ways crowd sourcing can be used, I was shocked and impressed with many of the amazing projects that incorporated crowd sourcing.  Listed below are a few of my favorite examples:

1. Collected Visions
Collected Vision began in 1996 by Lorie Novak. Novak sent out a request for people to send her any old family photos which she then placed on her Collected Vision website. Visitors to the site can browse through old photos and captions that have also been submitted by visitors to the site. One installation on the website that I found to be extremely intriguging was Positive Visions, where Novak asked the public to submit stories and photos of people affected with AIDS. Check it out here! Although her website is a bit...dated (I honestly don't even remember the internet existing in 1996) it is an amazing project.

2. The Johnny Cash Project
The Johnny Cash Project is a simply outstanding example of crowd sourcing. Project director, Chris Milk, (a real life music video director) decided to make a music video for Johnny Cash's last studio recording, "Ain't No Grave." Milk provided a reference image on the Johnny Cash Project website which was then used by participants (the general public) to create their own frame for the music video. For some reason the music video made me a bit dizzy...but enjoy!



3. A Life in a Day
A cinematic experiment produced by Ridley Scott is my FAVORITE example of crowd sourcing. Scott sent a request out for people to film their day on July 24, 2010 and submit them to Youtube. The response was unbelieve. The documentary film is made up of video clips from over 80,000 submissions sent from over 192 nations across the world. I already posted a link to the full film, so here is a link to the trailer.



I challenge everyone to find their own creative example of a project or art piece that incorporates crowd sourcing. There are tons out there!

Enjoy your week.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Emma. Crowdsourcing is anything but bland, and I'm happy to see that everyone's getting into it. The topic wasn't part of my original course outline, but I'm glad that we decided to take it on.

    Earlier, we talked about -- KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) -- and the same rule applies to crowdsourcing, especially when it's part of a larger communications effort.

    Oscar de la Renta incorporated crowdsourcing and Tumblr (microblogging) into PR efforts for his Fashion Week Spring 2012 show.

    The project was designed to create live fashion show coverage from editors, bloggers, models and home viewers (who were part of the Tumblr community) by uploading real-time photos to Tumblr with the tag #odlrlive.

    A livestream of the show played in the middle of the Tumblr page as photos populated the background in real-time.

    Crowdsourcing joined online and offline audiences with the use of a smartphone and the Tumblr app. Simple. The result is a permanent online record of 2012 event:

    http://odlrlive.tumblr.com/

    Is anyone using Tumblr?

    ReplyDelete