Nov 17, 2011

The revolution of the crowd

It’s a revolution! This was the first time I heard about crowdsourcing, in class with all of you. What’s surprising admittedly, is that I was using the technique before even thinking that there was a name for it.


We all know that with social media, there is no limit - and especially no barrier - to get in touch with our favorite company, brand or blogger. This same way, thanks to social media, it’s become easier for organizations to ask their customers to contribute to product development or collaborate on other creative endeavors. Just like in assignment #6, many of us recommended to create a contest on our company’s Facebook page. This is a crowdsourcing example, asking your audience to participate to the creation process. We are talking about engagement, well this is engagement! Now everyone had the same power to contribute to products and services we consume everyday, it raises awareness! Crowdsourcing offers an opportunity for fans to participate and create some fun, and would you agree with me that when it is fun, why not do it?


I really enjoyed being this week's crowdsourcer. I also realized how social networking, crowdsourcing, and interacting with your fans is the future way to build strong relations with your audience. Can you see how crowdsourcing could be a tremendous opportunity for us, PR and Marketing pros? Let me know your thoughts my dear crowdsourcers.

2 comments:

  1. Josi I love what you've done with our Blog. You are my Widget-Sister! LOL. Fantastic job. On the topic of Crowd-sourcing I attempted to outsource this week's assignment to my facebook friends (given my lack of political knowledge, um.. who can be Vice President? LOL) NO-ONE responded.. so I quickly deleted my post, embarrassed that I even attempted to get some feedback.. Guess facebook's not ready for crowdsourcing, then again majority of my friends are Australian so probably not the right target audience.. oh well it was worth a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crowdsourcing has a lot of potential that applies outside of PR and marketing. For example, I see crowdsourcing as a valuable tool in the political arena.
    Politicians can crowdsource for suggestions on tackling tough issues. Their campaign managers can crowdsource among knowledgable sources to get tips on strategically targeting their campaigns to various audiences.
    In repressive countries around the world, crowdsourcing can prove instrumental for pooling resources to further pro-democracy movements. I would not be surprised if this last example becomes more prevalent over the next five to 10 years. -Tom

    ReplyDelete