Oct 15, 2011

Simple = Smart

Good writing requires a simplified message. When you master the art of simplification, you are not only proving your intelligence but you are proving your ability to build relationships. Isn’t that what Public Relations is all about?

When you engage in a conversation with someone, the last thing you want to do is grab a Webster’s Dictionary and decode the message the person is trying to send (unless you enjoy the art of complex conversation). You want to feel connected and you want to be engaged. This is impossible when the message is filled with fancy words and confusing jargon; both of which distort the message and create a barrier between you and your intended audience.

Complicated language is often used to flaunt intelligence, intimidate or impress an audience; however, the audience will be impressed with a simple message. For this reason, audience analysis is important for clear communication. Messages should match the characteristics of an intended audience in content and structure.



In the previous clip, attorneys Franklin and Bash seem to have a clear understanding of their audience. They are aware of the complications legal jargon can create so they make an attempt to clarify and build a relationship by simplifying the message for a general audience. They also seem to know when and where the use of “legalese” is most effective.

Clear communication begins with a simple message and (hopefully) ends with the creation of a relationship. In short, know your audience and always remember to KISS(Keep It Simple Stupid:-).

8 comments:

  1. I got a kick from the Franklin & Bash blurb, because it makes me think of how jargon intense the law profession is.
    I have a certificate in paralegal studies. I have seen lawyers teach at paralegal school about legal concepts. As a former reporter, I have heard attorneys comment at length about lawsuits. It just astounds me how saturated the law is with complicated vocabulary.
    How many of the following legal terms do you think the average person woud know? "Estoppel, doctrine of latches, RCA out, eminent domain, equitable distribution, escheat, affirmative defense, strict scrutiny, stare decisis."
    I think the purpose of legalese is to make matters so complicated that you need a triple digit dollar per hour attorney. Just think how many legal problems you could understand and handle if all the terms were in everyday English.
    Thank God public relations is not like the law. Perhaps lawyers can learn something from Public Relations Functions And Practices. After all, simple really is smart for strategically communicating with an audience, unless you are an attorney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, lawyers and their legalese. Did you watch the Alan Siegel TEDTalks video in the Week Two Lesson Module?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is hilarious! I have several lawyer friends who use words like forthwith and heretofore everyday at work. It's conformity... everyone else is doing it, so I should do it to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone, especially in an email, uses big words to appear 'smart' then fails at using correct grammar. A thesaurus can be the enemy. Stick to the basics, be clear and your message will be well received.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with Maya, it drives me crazy when people throw in big and uncommon words with the hopes of making them seem intelligent.

    Shayla, I loved KISS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I'm hoping KISS catches on in a big way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you enjoyed the video. I work with lawyers and analysts on a daily basis. I seriously believe that their main agenda is to prove their intelligence by using big words in everyday speech. Like Maya, it drives me up a wall! Sometimes I want to shake them and say "speak English!" but then I would be reprimanded and face even more legalese--TORTURE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least, I don't have to work with lawyers and analysts every day. That would drive me nuts too, because when attorneys get wrapped up in legalese, you feel like you need a specialized interpreter.

    ReplyDelete