Nov 21, 2011

Professor Chandler, the Dog Ate My Homework

I’ve been working on my assignment since Wednesday and was relieved to be done last night.  This has been a lot of work, right?!  But when I went to drop it in the box this morning, it was nowhere to be found! :’(   Even a computer search would not locate it.  Tears welled up in my eyes as I started rehearsing my speech.

“Professor Chan... um Eric…  there’s been an accident.  My homework didn’t make it”.   

As the first drop fought to leave my eye,  I realized… I am in a crisis!  I gave myself a mental smack, got a hold of myself and remembered that I saved a work in progress on my work computer before I left Friday night!  I'd have to create a timeline and tip sheet again but you know what?  It served as an opportunity.  Because I thought of something that I wound up incorporating into my assignment.  I won’t say what, because I’m going to pretend it was a part of it all along!  Score one for pulling it together in a crisis :)

1 comment:

  1. It just goes to show that there is a silver lining to every crisis. I've noticed this many times during my journalism years. For example, I can recall instances when my computer screen mysteriously froze while I was writing an article on deadline. (Computer tech problems were epidemic at my job).
    Each time, I initially cursed the unwelcome setback. But when I rebooted and logged back on, I wound up rewriting my article with better words, or tighter sentences. Sometimes, I included an extra relevant angle that I didn't think of beforehand.
    So I think difficult moments are not just impediments. They're also opportunities to rethink your strategy and tactics, with a mind towards improvement.

    ReplyDelete