Nov 2, 2011

Your PRFandP Reality Check



(This is the week's official blog post.)

This canine certainly didn't create anything like PRFandP, huh? Our conversations are anything but pointless.

Sonia and I hopped on a call about Assignment Four earlier this week. We also shared a laugh about this item in Ragan's PR Daily: 53 signs you work in public relations. While the item is tongue-in-cheek, there's a hint of truth to each of the 53 signs. Take a few minutes to read the list.

We're a  1/3 of the way through PRFandP, so let's do a  little self-assessment. A PRFandP group therapy session, if you will. Since we don't have an official assignment this week (other than Assignment 3 revisions), this seems like a fitting topic.

Each of you came to PRFandP with your own idea of public relations, the industry. Where do you stand today? (You don't have to love each and every part of the industry.) What part of PR do you enjoy? What could you do without? What are you hoping to learn in the next 1/3 of PRFandP?

We're all about new PR here, so feel free to select a point-of-view, and then be transparent, honest and candid. 


2 comments:

  1. I'm one third of the way through PFR&P, and I know where I stand. This is something I definitely enjoy. This just is not a course, it's a journey across new horizons. Doing blogging, online lessions, being a guest lecturer, learning strategic communications instead of just plain PR. You don't get that in any garden variety instructional offering.
    And to cap it all of, I'm looking forward to preparing the PR plan with a live presentation at the end. This makes PRF&P a damn good boot camp for studying public relations. That's because this class is not really about studying, it's about doing, getting feedback, and improving. That is how you evolve in the PR world.
    For me, PFR&P is something I just can't do without. I'm only a third of the way through, and I alreadly feel I much better off for taking the class.
    This is the third PR course I've taken at NYU SCPS. And by far, this is the one class that has the greatest sense of immediacy. I'm talking about the day-in and day out feeling of "you got to stay on top of PRF&P." I can't say how important that is.
    We all need to appreciate the importance of keeping abreast of PFR&P day-in day-out. That's because the pace we're encountering is nothing like the real PR world. Forget day in and day out. It's more like minute-in, minute-out.
    My main goal for the next third of PFR&P is to become more proficient at PR planning. That segment will be a test creativity, ingenuity,teamwork, and trial and error. But I think a good starting point is to promote a useful mantra for PR philosophy. "Get confortable with getting out of your confort zone."
    By the way, that mirrors a guiding principle that Dr. Rob Gilbert, a sports psychology professor at NJ's Montclair State University, talked about on Success Hotline, his pre-recorded success coaching message line. Check it out sometime at 973-743-4690.
    Stay tuned. I'll talk more about getting out of your confort zone in my next blog entry later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, I love self-reflection assignments :-) Now it's time to truly keep it real!

    ReplyDelete