Oct 10, 2011

Au Bon Wha cha ma call it ?

No matter how I try, I simply do not feel comfortable pronouncing Au Bon Pain.  

I've been there on numerous occasions, since there's one right in the building I work in.  Yet, anytime someone asks what I might have for lunch I'll only say, "the sandwich place downstairs", or "Au Bon whatever it's called".  

Recently, I sent a tweet into cyber space asking, "How DO you pronounce Au Bon Pain??".  A friend, who happens to speak French, responded with, "Say it with me, Oh-Bon-Pan!".  Now, I would have never remembered this exchange if it weren't for a twitter response from an Au Bon Pain representative thanking my friend for the proper phonetic spelling.  I'll admit, I still don't pronounce it correctly.  My rendition sounds more like a physical therapy clinic than a sandwich place.  And naming a company in another language other than the native tongue is a whole other issue.  I wonder now, how did sending a response to us affect me as a customer?  If it did, it was on a psychological level because it didn't make me eat there more often or even say the company name right.  

Now, Twitter is a very current and, (forgive me for the word Im about to use), cool platform.  It's also very informal.  Just imagine getting a letter in the mail thanking you for a phonetic spelling.  That would seem... desperate.  Perhaps the tweet was meant to simply be a positive customer exchange and nothing more.  What do you think?

Also, I think it's interesting that throughout this blog post, I had to continuously edit my sentences because I kept referring to the "representative" as a "she".  I quite obviously have never met this person, yet I instantly assume the person is female.  "She" tweeted me, "she" thanked my friend.  All very interesting thoughts stemming from a simple tweet.   And still, all this Au Bon Pain talk has not even made me hungry.




1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't feel bad about not being able to pronounce Au Bon Pain correctly. There are plenty of people who don't know how to correctly pronounce Au Bon Pain.
    It takes a lot of study, patience, and repetition to pronounce French words with even a passable semblace of the true sound. I should know. I majored in French at Montclair State University.
    I started studying French as a high school sophmore. It wasn't until I took French phonetics with Dr. Lilian Szklarczyk as a collge freshman did I start to speak the language with a decent intonation and rhythm.
    I think Au Bon Pain's difficult to pronounce name is a strategic communication problem. The franchise chose the name. Therefore, the company has a logical duty, through upbeat PR blurbs, to educate the public on the correct pronunciation.
    In addition, a campaign centered on the ear pleasing "Oh Bon Pan" would give the restaurant chain a "frenchified" edge over the competition. The correctly pronounced ring of the name itself can help the company carve out a niche for itself; reinforcing the impression of a French heritage. This tactic could be a tour de force for Au Bon Pain.

    ReplyDelete