Oct 30, 2011

Sparking headlines

Perhaps Eric’s link How to write a perfect email pitch intimidated you when you read: “Even if the rest of your email sounds like it was crafted by Shakespeare himself, non one will read it if the subject line scares them off.” Did you ever felt writing your best post ever but having no title for it? How much time did it takes you to come out with a decent headlines for your assignment 4 press release? Whether you are a PR pro, a reporter, or just blogging for fun, it is all about it.

What if it were as easy as that?

Warning: The language in that video might be a little...spicy

3 comments:

  1. Hilarious Josi! Great post. Headlines, even titles in blogs are so important - encapsulating the gist of everything you want to say in a relevant, witty and ‘please read me” kinda way…It’s a skill in itself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good writing never comes easy, whether it's headlines, text,captions, or e-mails. In fact, the hallmark of a good writer is someone who is patient.
    As a former journalist. I can say if you know what's good for you, you very rarely go with a sentence or headline at the first stab. Many times, it takes several rewrites, or even more.
    Your best writing comes from looking at what you wrote, reviewing it, and evaluating how it can be improved. That's because no one (expect maybe the Jeopardy appearing computer Watson) has all the words at his or her fingertips in an instant.
    So, if you come across writer's block. Don't curse it. Welcome it. Writer's block is your inner voice telling you, "You can do better."
    In the end, you'll feel much better taking the time to work through the writing impasse. Trust me, you'd feel let down if you saw your first try in print, because it didn't really convey what you wanted to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wasn't as easy as it seemed. I sent a test email to myself with the subject line I created for my email pitch, to see how it read as a new email.

    When I saw it in my inbox,I realized I had to take the "$199" price out of the regarding line. It looked like spam! There's so much to think about in PR, even email psychology.

    ReplyDelete