Nov 5, 2011

If I Only Had a Heart...



There are similarities between the field of Intelligence and Public Relations. Public Relations is a 24 hour process; a process of hunting for stories and/or news angles, gathering and analyzing information. Public Relations requires a constant awareness of information. Technically, Public Relations never sleeps which means you never sleep. This is tough because I truly miss sleep. Whatever happened to nap time?! But I digress…

Like Intelligence, Public Relations requires creative thinking for strategic development and implementation. Public Relations also requires lots of writing (more than I ever expected). I absolutely hate Intelligence writing but writing is an aspect of Public Relations I am learning to love.

Unlike Intelligence, Public Relations requires a creative approach to writing that I thoroughly enjoy. Public Relations writing is less technical and more conversational. It is personal, open and honest. When I begin writing, I feel like I am talking to an old friend instead of facing an awkward first encounter with a stranger. Intelligence is an impersonal exchange of information. Public Relations develops and sustains personal relationships. I like that.

In a nutshell, Intelligence is like the Tin Man before he visits the Wonderful Wizard of Oz: well-meaning but stiff, mechanical and unloving. Public Relations is like the Tin Man after the visit: warm, welcoming and moveable. In Public Relations, you can express compassion. Public Relations requires a heart.

I am hoping to learn as much as possible about Public Relations. Because I am new to the field, I am a sponge soaking up everything around me. I enjoy the personal stories and lessons from classmates every Monday evening. I appreciate the candid openness of everyone and will take such lessons into consideration when I enter the field.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you. The classroom setting does allow for more creative writing. My past writing experience has been primarily technical reports, case files, meeting minutes and such. What a snoozer! In my future employment, I hope that I can be creative; perhaps not as much as our blog. I am hoping, just enough for the gray matter in my brain to sing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is one key element that intelligence and public relations have in common. That is the necessity for solid and truthful information. Without that base, intelligence and public realtions both become liabilities, which make you and your organziaton look like a fool.
    As proof, look at the weapons of mass destruction (WMD) claim that was the rationale for invading Iraq. For the U.S. government, that statement turned out to be an intelligence and public relations quagmire.
    Why? The Bush administration cited the WMD story over and over again without any factual basis. Eventually, the absence of evidence of WMD became evidence of absence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving the creative outlet that this blog is providing especially learning how to structure conversations & messages from a PR perspective..it's more challenging than I thought. Definitely a skill, but one that we call all attain with practice in an environment like this. Great post Shayla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shayla, I must say I love your style of writing. I am not sure what it is about it...but it always draws me in and I absolutely love what you have to say and how you say it. Great job!

    However, I disagree with you on one thing...

    In my experience, in PR you do have a lot of first encounters with strangers. Perhaps it is when you are just starting out, but I find that there is a lot of cold calling and a lot of asking something of strangers which can often be awkward. From what I can tell, everyone in this class is very personable and GREAT at talking to strangers...so it shouldn't be an issue.

    Seriously though, great work. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great blog post angle, Shayla. Inventive and thoughtful. Thanks for putting the brainpower into it.

    One of your statements, in particular, called attention to itself: "In Public Relations, you can express compassion. Public Relations requires a heart."

    Since we're all about transparency here, let me clarify this statement. Only the smartest PR professionals will know how to express compassion in the true spirit of the new PR. Be prepared to come across many who won't hold the same values or share the same level of PR-smarts that you are gaining.

    ReplyDelete